Cement is the most common binding material used in construction activities. It is mixed with crushed rocks, sand and water in specific proportion to create concrete.
Admixtures are chemicals that are added to concrete at the initial mixing stage to enhance or modify the working properties of the mix. They increase compressive strength, workability & durability and reduce the water content within the cement.
COMMON TYPES OF CEMENT ADMIXTURES
There are many cement admixtures available, here are three of the most common types of admixtures you will find on the market:
– Sulfonated Naphthalene Formaldehyde (SNF)
– Sulfonated Melamine Formaldehyde (SMF)
– Polycarboxylate Ether (PCE)
GETTING THE MOST OUT OF CEMENT ADMIXTURES
Optimum use of admixtures depends on several factors:
– Type of cement
– Amount of cement used
– Working temperature of concrete
– Air and water content
BENEFITS OF CEMENT ADMIXTURES
Developers, engineers, contractors, builders, architects use cement admixtures for:
– Corrosion resistance
– Reduced permeability
– Improved resistance to chemical attack
– Effective placement of concrete in extreme weather conditions
– Effective underwater placement of concrete
MARKET TRENDS FOR CEMENT ADMIXTURES
The demand for concrete admixtures is directly related to cement consumption trends. Some of the drivers of the concrete admixtures market are improving quality of construction in developing economies, increasing demand for high rise buildings, roads, bridges, tunnels and dams.
Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific:
– Growing residential requirements and urbanisation trend is creating high market opportunities for concrete admixture manufacturer
– Repair and maintenance applications also provide potential opportunities, supported by increase in renovation and repair activities
– This has seen a double-digit growth rate for concrete admixture consumption
– Asia Pacific is expected to hold the market share of over two-thirds of the total global admixtures market
– Various factors such as foreign direct investment (FDI) in developing markets such as India and China is providing new market opportunities in the concrete admixtures market
Europe and North America:
– The gradual aging of the housing stock is offering major opportunities for concrete admixtures market.
DEVELOPMENTS IN CEMENT ADMIXTURE TECHNOLOGY HAS ENABLED:
– The development of mid-range water reducers
– Concrete mixtures that contain up to 85% recycled material
– An additive called Elemix, which consists of expanded polystyrene beads, allowing the creation of a lighter weight concrete with the same structural strength, while enhancing its thermal properties, retarding properties and cracking resistance.
A number of changes in the construction industry have added impetus for manufacturers and contractors to follow sustainability and green building codes. Concrete admixtures have evolved over the past few decades and with growth in the construction industry globally and development of new construction techniques, concrete building systems are becoming more durable and sustainable using environmental friendly techniques.
Contact Adamson Construction for further details on cement admixtures and other ways we are improving the ‘Quality of Construction’.